Monday 16 October 2017

Parafeild Airport - South Australia

Today I visited an airport I have never been to before so to say I was little excited is an understatement. I have been looking forward to this for the last few weeks.
As soon as I collected my suitcase from Adelaide Airport I grabbed my hire car and headed straight for Parafield Airport.
Once I got there I hunted out the airport office as I wanted them and security to know I would be hanging around for a few hours taking photos. I spoke to a really lovely lady called Steph,  Steph gave me some hints on where to go and even pointed me in the direction of a cafĂ© for lunch.




























Parafield Airport (ICAO: YPPF) is on the edge of the residential suburb of Parafield in South Australia and is 18 km (11 miles) north of the Adelaide city centre. Parafield is Adelaide's second airport and the fifth busiest airport in Australia by aircraft movements. Although it is owned by the Australian Government, the airport is leased to and managed independently by Parafield Airport Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Adelaide Airport Limited.
Parafield is currently used for small aircraft, pilot training and recreational aviation.
The airport is 17 Mts (57 feet) above sea level  and has four asphalt runways which are

03L / 21R 1,350 Mts (4,429 feet)
03R / 21L 1,279 Mts (4,196 feet)
08L / 26R    958 Mts (3,143 feet)
08R / 26L    992 Mts (3,255 feet)




















The Air Traffic Control Tower operates seven days a week: 7am - 7pm Monday to Friday /  8am - 6pm Saturday and Sunday. When the tower is closed, the airport still operates and pilots must make mandatory radio calls on the CTAF frequency (Common Terminal Area Frequency) to safely co-ordinate arrivals and departures.


I drove around to a few places looking for a few different things.


JAKE SPECIAL VH-YWB (CN 1)

DIAMOND DA-42 VH-YBX (CN 42.211)

GROB -BURKHAART G115B VHJVT (CN 8099)

CESSNA 310 VH-ZIH (CN 310R-0993)

CESSNA 172R VH-JDG (CN 172RG0273)

PIPER PA 44 VH-EQY (CN 44-810-7020)

CESSNA 337G VH-SFZ (CN 33701530)



CESSNA 402A VH-RDZ (CN 402A0125)

AIR TRACTOR AT 802A VH-OUB (CN 802A-0510)

AIR TRACTOR AT 802A VH-ODZ (CN 802A-0041)






























































The airport also hosts a jet fighter museum with historic aircraft displays so I went in for a look around and I had my own personal tour guide called David. That man was a walking encyclopaedia on military aviation I tell you.





VOUGHT F4U CORSAIR


De HAVILLAND 82A  TIGER MOTH

De HAVILLAND CHIPMONK

SIAI MARCHETTI SLR  S-211

PITTS SPECIAL

AUGUSTA BELL 47G

FAW 53 SEA VENOM WZ 939


JINDIVIK          (MEANS HUNTED ONE)
A PILOTLESS AIRCRAFT















No comments:

Post a Comment